Sunday, January 25, 2015

Radio Audience

I was talking to my father this week and he remembered when his family got a radio.  His family was one of the first in the vicinity to get a radio.  Sometimes local farmers and their family would come to their house to listen to the radio.  I wondered what would draw people together in such a fashion?  What program on the radio would cause the neighbors to drop what they were doing and gather at the house with the radio?  I didn't think it would be music.  I didn't think it would be comedy.  "Fireside chats with FDR?" I hazarded a guess.  Wrong!  They came to the house to listen to the first black American hero, Joe Louis, world heavyweight championship boxer beat his opponent.   I never would have guessed in a million years.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...