Tuesday, January 13, 2015

On The Road Again

Today I drove again for the first time since December 21st.  Driving was no problem.  Getting in takes longer than it used to but isn't as painful.  I have to arrange a boat cushion and a pillow wrapped in a plastic bag on the drivers seat.  I move the seat back as far as it can go.  I throw the keys and cane inside.  Then I turn around and back in with one hand on the seat back and the other on the dashboard.  Once I reach the seat I bring my left leg up and scoot toward the middle of the car.  I swing my right leg in slowly and then my left leg.  I raise myself up and arrange the cushions so I am sitting evenly.  Then I shut the door.  After that I grab the cane and search for the bar that allows the seat to move forward and back.  Since I can't reach down and lift that bar without breaking my 90 degree restriction, I hold it up with my cane and simultaneously scoot the seat forward.  The scooting the seat forward is difficult but will probably get easier with practice.  Warmer temperatures would also make this whole process easier.  The temperature was about 5 when I was driving this morning. I felt good driving again; like I am a more competent person.  As a passenger the seat belt gave me no trouble but as a driver the belt irritates the incision site.  I might use a little pillow to pad that area.  Feels great to be on the road again.  That freedom is very important to me.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...