Saturday, January 10, 2015

I Can Do It Myself! (Socks)

Since my surgery I am not allowed to bend more than 90 degrees at the waist which makes it impossible to put on my socks in the normal fashion.  I bought a simple piece of adaptive equipment that makes dressing in socks much easier.  It consists of a 7 inch curved piece of plastic with two rope handles.  Looks can be deceptive.  This thing is magic.

On the underside is a piece of blue foam that holds the sock in place.

At the hospital before surgery I got a lesson on how to use this piece of equipment.  You put your sock onto the plastic thing so the opening is near the ropes and the toe is snug at the other end of the plastic.

Once the sock is on you throw it on the floor while still holding to the rope handles.  Stick your foot inside the plastic and pull on the ropes.  Yes, I painted my toenails a cheerful hunter orange.  Now I will be safe if I want to hunt barefoot.

Keep pulling until the sock is on.

The device will slip out of the sock when the sock is all the way on.

Voila!  I can do it myself!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...