Friday, January 30, 2015

Jewelweed

A really good book is a rare find.  Each chapter is delicious.  Just like a serving of rainbow sherbert or sour cream and chive potato chips, you don't want to come to the end so you try to pace yourself and enjoy every last morsel but you can't help it.  You binge and then you hate yourself.  That is how I felt this afternoon after binge reading the last seven chapters of Jewelweed by David Rhodes.  I knew this was going to happen.  A friend told me about a book she liked.  She thought it was called Driftwood and was set in Wisconsin.  "Could it be Driftless?" I asked hopefully.  She said it was and that this book was a continuation of some of the same characters. As soon as possible I requested this book at the library and now, I am unhappy to say, I read the whole thing.  Dang, why didn't I save at least one chapter for tomorrow?  Where is my self-restraint?  My self-discipline?  Why did I splurge on this literary delight?  I sure hope David Rhodes writes more about Winifred the pastor, Blake the felon with great integrity, Amy and Buck Roebuck the happily married couple, Dart the hardworking but impetuous working mother, and Wally who keeps a notebook in his pocket of all the things he is going to miss after he dies.  This was a great book but please excuse me, I need to lie down now, I read too much.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...