Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Light Between Oceans

I thought it was just me. I thought it was because of the oxycodone I was taking when I read this story that caused me to cry.  Turns out other people in my book club who never cry at books cried at this tale of The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman.  This tale is set on an island off the coast of Australia and some parts are as sad as can be.  A young lighthouse keeper and his young wife find a baby abandoned in a boat after the wife just suffered her third miscarriage.  Of course they take the baby in and care for her.  But do they admit they found her?  The next supply boat doesn't come in for another 3 months so they have plenty of time alone to think about it.  The character development was so great that I empathized with the birth mother, the lighthouse keeper, his wife, and just about everyone in this book.  My favorite was the light house keeper who comes back scarred from world war one but has boatloads of integrity and honesty in him that, as much as he loves his wife, he can not shake.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...