Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Shoemaker's Wife

I read The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani.  This book made me laugh and cry sometimes in the same chapter. To be honest, all the laughing out loud and crying happened after surgery and while I was taking some narcotics so maybe I enjoyed the drama a bit more because of the medicine.  But it was a great book nonetheless.  The story takes place in northern Italy, New York City and Chisholm, Minnesota.  A handsome guy named Ciro meets a beautiful girl named Enza.  Years go by and they don't see each other but eventually Ciro becomes a shoemaker and Enza becomes the shoemaker's wife.  The story is touching and the writing is crisp and elegant.  I enjoyed the family centered drama and Italian immigrant perspective. I will definitely look for more work by this engaging author.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...