Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Lofty Squirrel

I have been walking around my neighborhood lately to get stronger.  On my walks and even on my drives, I have noticed a squirrel or two hanging out in the same place.  This place is on a tree about 200 house numbers west of mine that angles over the road.  The squirrel(s) hang out above the road in the tallest branches that support their weight.  Today I saw two of them in the same spot.  A nuthatch flew into the branches and one of the squirrels came down to chase it away.  Are these squirrels playing king of the hill?  Under their spot on the tree the road is littered with small twigs that are chewed and stripped of their bark.  I am curious why the squirrels chose this tree.  As I walked back today I paused under the tree and looked directly up at them.  They didn't notice me for a few seconds but then they stopped their nervous busy work to pause and stare back at me.  You may think less of me but one day last week I stopped my car directly under the squirrels and honked my Honda horn thinking it would be funny if I scared them enough to make them fall.  They didn't fall.  There is no squirrel nest in the tree.  Maybe the branches of this particular tree taste the best of all the trees in the neighborhood. Could be a gourmet tree to a squirrel.  Maybe they can see predators coming better from this tree.  I am definitely not complaining that the squirrels are in this tree.  The squirrels are leaving my bird feeders alone so I have absolutely no complaints.  The only thing they eat is the left over canary food that I put on the deck railing for the juncos.  Sometimes squirrels take a drink out of the heated bird bath.  I have no problem with that either.  I guess now that the squirrels aren't being a pest to me, I appreciate them more.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...