Thursday, February 21, 2019

Adversity

Yesterday nine inches of snow fell on all of us here and the word adversity kept coming to my mind. The snow poured down on the morning commute and throughout the day. I tried not to look out the window at the snow piling up but I could not resist the horrified fascination of inch after inch coming down.  My place of business was open so I went to work. Local schools were closed so the traffic was light but it was tough going.  People got stuck. One vehicle near my job in Blaine left the east bound 5 land road, crossed a ditch, a pond and ended up tucked next to the sound barrier. How that car got so far off the road is beyond me. At work one of our vehicles was severely stuck. I was asked if I could take two people home in a mini-van that has a wheelchair lift.  I said, "Yes."  My heart said no way.  My soul said no way.  But my mouth said "Yes." I got the key, started the vehicle, and proceeded to dust 8 inches of snow off of it.  Snow fell on my head and into my boots.  As I am doing this other vans in our parking lot are stuck. Wheels spin loudly. Flattened cardboard boxes are put under tires and several staff push. As one van gets pushed free another van comes in and gets stuck. Shovels are throwing snow in all directions. Finally the parking lot snow plow truck comes through and while that is helpful, my van is now plowed in. I am still working on it when I get the word that I do not have to drive this van anymore. Another driver said he could do it. I feel so grateful and filled with the energy that comes with elation that I clean off four other vehicles next to the one I was going to use.  As I tromp back in the building and prepare to brush the snow off my own car, I admire the way people pull together in times of adversity. I think it is a pleasure to help others and a pleasure to be helped. And also, it is a pleasure to pull into my own garage after a day like this independently!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...