Saturday, February 23, 2019

Epidaurus

Today, as I was shoveling the driveway AGAIN, I thought about my trip to Greece and the time we went to visit the ancient Greek theater Epidaurus. We had a sunny bright day that day as the bus took us up the winding hill to the theater. We had a long walk from the parking lot.  The WC's were cold.  Only cold water ran in the sinks. The toilets, like many toilets in Greece, were porcelain. That part is fine. The difficulty comes in that they don't use toilet seats. Sitting on a narrow porcelain ridge is very cold. Squatting is also difficult. One solution I used was to put my hands on the porcelain and sit on my hands which is warmer but more germy. I washed my hands thoroughly in the cold water and marched up the hill to the theater. Guards are on duty at these ancient ruins. They sit in little huts, smoking and watching. When they see a visitor do something wrong they blow their whistle.  We walked into the theater.  I walked up a row of seats.  My daughter in law recommended I stand on the circle in the center of the stage and move my feet.  I walked back down the many steps and stood on the circle.  I moved my feet. The sound of the gravel under my feet came back to my and into my ears from what seemed like every direction.  The acoustics were amazing. I danced a few steps just to hear the sound of my feet moving on these ancient marble slabs.  Then I walked back up to the top of the theater to look down. As I was coming down I walked near Offspring #1. I recommended he stand in the circle and listen for the sounds.  He walked to the circle at center stage. To my surprise he began to sing the national anthem of Canada in a strong voice.  "Oh, Canada, our home and native land,"  Tweet!  Tweet! Angry whistles are bleating. Evidently it is against the rules to sing the Canadian national anthem at Epidaurus. Now that was a moment to remember! We were all laughing. Except the whistle blower, I don't think she was laughing.



No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...