Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Sharp Snow!

This morning when I went to do my chicken chores the snow had a hard crust on top. I was reminded of a walk I took. I was in the eighth grade. I walked from my home to a Girl Scout meeting. (This might have been one of the last Girl Scout meetings I ever attended). The meeting was at Capitol View Junior High.  To get there I could have walked along the street. Instead I decided to take a short cut across the field (where there are now houses and an extra street and an elementary school) to the road. I was wearing a skirt, ankle socks, and those black rubber overshoes with the fake gray fur collars. These boots zipped up the front.
The snow came nearly to my knees. Walking through the snow with my bare legs was unpleasant and cold. When I got to the street I looked down and saw that the icy crust on the snow was sharp and I had numerous small cuts to the skin on my legs. Each cut had a couple drops of blood. This snow was sharp snow.  My skin was so cold I didn't feel all the pain so that was good. As I finished the walk to my Girl Scout meeting I began to question the benefits of being a Girl Scout. Walking home I decided not to cut through the field and stay on the side of the road instead. Today it snowed all day. Accumulation was not as much as I thought it would be.  This fall I read the Farmers Almanac forecast and it called for a mild dry winter. Because of that forecast I decided not to pay for a plowing contract this year. Well, I just spent a full hour shoveling snow. Actually it wasn't so bad.  I was dressed appropriately so I wasn't cold.  I like how the snow stifles the sounds and all is quiet out there. Since I have been shoveling this driveway for a quarter of a century I have an efficient shoveling pattern that I follow. Is the driveway perfectly clean of snow. No, not by a long shot. I am fairly certain I will be able to drive out of here tomorrow without a problem though and that is my goal for now.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...