Sunday, February 17, 2019

Finally!

Finally! I saw a moving van at the house across the street.  I am happy to have neighbors again.  The house has stood empty for a year. For six months prior to that the former owner came weekly to pick up her mail. Evidently her husband died cutting the lawn and she could not afford to keep the house any longer.  I liked that guy.  I liked her too.  I used to buy coupon books from their high school aged football playing sons. He helped me with my driveway a couple times.  Before that his father and mother owned the house.  I liked them too. They were friendly and helpful. Once I went over there and he offered me a hamburger. I declined saying I didn't eat meat.  He was so disappointed. Then he offered me a whiskey. I turned that down because at that time I didn't drink alcohol. Then he offered me a  glass of milk.  Although I really didn't want to drink a glass of milk I took it because i was afraid he was going to cry if I didn't. Before them was a couple who always let their dog run loose.  Before them was a young couple who had three girls. One of the girls was a year younger than Offspring #2. That girl and Offspring #2 used to play together. One day in March they took a bowl from the kitchen and picked all the white berries in the woods. Offspring #2's subsequent case of poison ivy was the first of the year at the clinic. The neighbor's daughter used to sing to us out of her bedroom window.  I can still hear her yell, "Nah, nah, a ha ha!"  Once, as I was installing an invisible fence for my golden retriever named Ruby, her father came over to investigate. He wanted to feel the shock of the collar.  I showed him the box that explicitly said it is not recommended for humans to feel the shock. He insisted so I let him feel the shock.  His hand shook when he felt it and I laughed. Once the woman who lived there invited me over to admire her paint job in the bathroom.  Sponge painting was in at the time and she tried sponge painting but she didn't like it. Instead, she went out to her car, got the snow brush out, dipped that snow brush into the paint and whopped it all over the bathroom walls in mauve and green over a cream colored base. She asked me how I liked it.  I lied and said I did like it. Later they moved to the Mankato area. Now Dave and  Stephanie live next door. I brought them a fruit and chocolate basket as a house warming gift. I hope they sleep well tonight.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...