Monday, February 18, 2019

Happy President's Day

On my ride to work today I was thinking about Presidents as I enjoyed the light traffic on a federal holiday. Over the years I have had several favorite Presidents. I like Washington, Lincoln, Carter, both Roosevelts, and Jefferson. Teddy Roosevelt, although a pugnacious man, is well liked because of the national parks he set up. But then on the way home I saw the very beautiful full moon. My thoughts turned to the home of democracy which is Greece because that is where I was during the full blood moon. That evening, coming into Athens on a bus we witnessed a political demonstration that included men throwing rocks at the police.  Since the 5th century BC this country has had direct democracy. Being the birth place of democracy is very important to the Greeks because every museum and archaeological ruin has signs that talk about that fact. I find it almost unbelievable that just a month ago I sat on a bus holding a toddler with eyes wide open watching the scene unfold. The event feels like it happened six months ago rather than only one month ago. I think it's odd how travel benefits me. Travels expands my comfort zone and opens my mind to new ideas and ways of thinking that are, in my opinion, very much worth the money. I guess I am more of a vagabond than a settler.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...