Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Swing Time

I could get more reading done if I spent less time on my forced hobby of shoveling snow but I did  manage to read Swing Time by Zadie Smith. This story is about two girls who grow up near each other in London, the only girls of color in their class. They go to dance class together. One of the girls, Tracey, is a good dancer.  The other girl, the narrator of the story has flat feet and drops out of dancing. Their paths separate as they finish school. The narrator goes on to become a personal assistant of a super star. Some of the story takes place in New York City and some in west Africa. I think the author does a great description of the places in the book.  Friendship, race, and class are recurring themes in the book.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...