Saturday, February 16, 2019

Napflio

On my trip to Greece we spent a third of our time in a seaside town of Napflio. This town has a population of about 35,000 people.  As we walked from the bus to our apartment we strolled by the public school. Children from age 5 to 15 were outside on the playground talking and playing and having fun. The town is on a peninsula that forms a protected bay. There is an island on the bay on which there is a castle.  The town is on a steep hill.  Halfway up the hill is a castle named Acronauplia.  We walked up the hill and through the castle and thought the view was majestic. From here we could see the swimming beach. There was a man swimming but I imagine the water was cold. High above us was another castle named Palamidi. The next morning we took a taxi to the Palamide castle and walked through that. I was blown away by the view. I tried to imagine what the castle looked like when it was used. This castle was built by the Venetians but as soon as they finished the work it was overtaken by the Turks. We decided to walk down the hill which, according to the sign, was a total of 990 steps.  These stairs, unlike most other stairs I walked on in Greece, were of equal height and quite flat. All I had on my back was a back pack.  Offspring #1 and his wife were both carrying children.  I don't know how they did it.  My legs were shaking by the time I got to the bottom of those stairs. A quick lunch and a bus ride back to Athens cured my shaking legs. We got the chance to eat at several restaurants, shop at the grocery store, and to buy a pair of shoes at the shoe store. We toured the Archaeological Museum in the town.  In the evenings we visited the play ground near the sea so the grand girls could expend their energy.  I would definitely go back to Napflio again if I ever got the chance. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...