Thursday, March 9, 2023

Augmented Reality

Today I had an appointment in a conference room in Green Hall on the Saint Paul campus. I parked on the street and walked a half mile to Green Hall. Outside Green Hall is a statue of the famous Dr. Frank Borlaug. His work with wheat and poverty in Africa won him the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970. I met my researcher ten minutes early. I was asked to fill out a survey on an iPad. When I finished he handed me a set of augmented reality eye glasses. These glasses had cameras that looked back into my eyes and paid attention to where my attention was focused. The glasses had speakers in the frames. I watched a video on another iPad. I could see the forest if I turned in my chair. I answered the questions about forestry practices and the emerald ash borer. Then I was handed an envelope with fifteen dollars and I was out of there.

I stopped at the restroom on my way out and saw, for the first time, a changing table capable of changing an adult. How wonderful! These changing tables are sorely needed. I really hope to see  more adult changing tables in more places soon.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...