Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Don't Fall At Gooseberry Falls

Another winter storm warning starts at 4 p.m. I thought I would use the time ahead of the storm to get outside for exercise and fresh air.

That is a pine martin stuffed on the shelf. I stopped at this State Park store last year to buy some ice cleats which I will wear today. I don't want to fall on all this ice. Dangnabbit, falls is in the name of this place. I till try not to fall at Gooseberry Falls.

Some water is frozen and some is liquid. The temperature is about 30 degrees and it is windy up by the visitor center. Down in the valley here the wind isn't so bad.

Today I saw eagles, crows, ravens, black capped chickadees and blue jays.

This open pond is on the other side of Highway 61. I walked beneath the bridge to get here.


I'd like to come back in the summer and fall.

Lake Superior has large, choppy waves pushing at us from Wisconsin. The chunks of ice are being pushed our way too.

Funny to think of all the life living under that ice. Beaver, trout, turtles, frogs, damselfly larvae, mosquito eggs, and crayfish like it under the ice.

Yesterday I had a sauna at the YMCA. I could use another one today.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...