Thursday, March 16, 2023

Sanitizing A Clean Room

This afternoon I volunteered for the first time at a food bank near the airport in Duluth. I got there early so I had time to take this picture out of the break room window. The rain turned to snow at noon. I hoped to get out of here before conditions got really terrible. You can see the big pile of snow in the distance. I think it looks fairly bleak. By 1 p.m. the other, experienced, volunteers arrived. Our job today was to sanitize the clean room. Since the pandemic started the clean room wasn't used as a clean room. The employee showed us a donation from Kellogg's cereal. There was a pallet of Crunchy Nuts cereal that was 15 feet tall. They have another one of Fruit Loops. Once the clean room is sanitized, they will move that pallet of cereal in there, turn it on it's side, cut the top open, and give us scoops to move the cereal into family sized bags. That would be a fun job. I grabbed some gloves and a rag and a bucket and washed walls and doors. Other people mopped the floors and the upper walls and the ceiling. Then we moved into the warehouse area and swept the floors. We swept up chunks of wood, plastic straps, sawdust, and grit off the floors. With 20 people working, we made short work of it. We were done by 2 p.m. and able to leave. I have only a ten minute drive. One lady came all the way from southern Superior, Wisconsin. I think I will definitely be back to volunteer here again. 

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...