Friday, March 3, 2023

Brown Versus The Board Of Education

This morning I hit the highway in Tulsa at 7:15 a.m. Traffic was heading south into town so I was lucky. Rain fell steadily until almost 11. I stopped to buy gas in Altoona when I saw this big rooster. Today I didn't count the skunks on the road but I did count 13 hawks, 3 Northern Harrier and 10 red-tailed hawks.

I arrived at Brown Versus The Board of Education National Park at 11:15. Two school buses full of children were here with their teachers. Having students of color see the exhibits at the same time I did made for a better experience.

We were watching a movie of a lynching. The teacher said one person hanging in the rope was a doll and one was an actual person. One black young man, taller than me, said "I can't watch this anymore." I silently agreed and left with him.



This artwork was located in the Colored Kindergarten room.



After I checked into my hotel I went to a local park for a walk. Mallards floated in the water.


This was also in the Colored Kindergarten room.

I went to the store to buy two postcards. The ranger asked if I was a teacher. I admitted I used to be a teacher. He gave me the teacher's discount.

This prairie was burned recently. I could still smell the smoke. I heard fox sparrows and tufted titmouse and red bellied woodpeckers and robins singing in here.
This kitchen was in the Colored Kindergarten room. When I got to my hotel it was sketchy. I saw my room and went back to the desk to ask for a lamp, the ice machine and the WIFI code. The man gave me the Wi-Fi code and said he thought I would cancel the booking as soon as I saw the room. He said the ice machine hasn't worked for 7 years. He carried a nice lamp to my room. I went to turn on the television and the batteries had been removed from the remote. Wow. Then I read the reviews on my next place, cancelled that stay, and rebooked another nicer hotel. Live and learn! I definitely need to get back in here tomorrow before sunset or my Honda Fit will turn into a pumpkin and my four new tires will turn into mice.


 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...