Monday, July 13, 2020

Back to West Gooseberry

Today I parked my car at Gooseberry Falls State Park. I walked past the visitor center to the path that took me over the river and under the highway bridge. I walked past the old visitor center and headed upstream the Gooseberry River. I walked past the Fifth falls and took the bridge over the river again.

The Superior Hiking Trail inside the state park is primo and deluxe. The path is very well maintained. Once beyond where most state park visitors go the path becomes less deluxe.

I came to a campsite with a log cabin. This would be a nice spot to stay.

I came upon some orange lilies. We used to call them Tiger Lilies. The brownish water of the Gooseberry River is in the background.

I came to the Gooseberry campground.

Another view of the river.

Here is the Middle Gooseberry campground.

Only a tenth of a mile later was the East Gooseberry campground.

These lush ferns are taller than my head. It's almost tropical in here.

Here is the work of ambitious and industrious beavers.

Whew! Finally I came to the West Gooseberry campground which is where I left off on my last hike. Today I added 4.4 miles to the trail making my new total 89.9 miles completed and  242.6 left to go.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...