Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Hike to Encampment River

Today I hiked from the Fors Road Trail Head to the Encampment River. At 2.4 miles into the hike I came to the Pine Ridge Overlook. I can see Two Harbors to the west.

This is so stunningly beautiful. In the distance I can see Lake Superior. This reminds me of the television series Bonanza except they had Ponderosa Pine and I have red and white pine.

I am coming close to the Encampment River. Every once in a while the Superior Hiking Trail puts up these blue mail boxes. Inside is a plastic bag with a journal and a pen. Hikers can write a note in the journal. So far I haven't written in any.

Here is the Encampment River. This should be easy to hop across although the idea of removing my new boots and socks and soaking my feet for a while sounds good too. I would think the Superior Hiking Trail would have a campsite on the Encampment River. The word camp is in Encampment. But I think they don't because much of this area is private property.

As I hike back to my car sweat pours off my face. My quick dry shirt is wet. My quick dry hiking pants are sticking to my thighs. I am hot and tired.As I hike back to the Pine Ridge Overlook a cool breeze comes by and I feel better. This was a difficult hike. On five occasions the elevation change was so drastic I had to use a four point walk meaning I was hanging on with both hands and feet. I also had to use a five point walk meaning the rocks were so steep I had to sit on my keister and reach the next rock with my foot before standing up again.  I think to myself I could be at home reading a book by the fan with an ice cold drink.   Soon enough I will be home by the fan and a cold drink. Today I added 3.8 miles making my new total on the Superior Hiking Trail 78.1 miles. I have 254.5 left to go. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...