Thursday, July 9, 2020

Hike to Encampment River From The North

Today I hiked from the Castle Danger Trail head back to the Encampment River. Yesterday it rained. I got 1.4 inches at my house which were sorely needed. Rain fell here too which made for slippery rocks, slippery exposed roots, slippery mud, and slippery boards. Here I am at the Crow Creek gorge. Look at those cliffs!

I think hiking up cliffs is easier than going down because I can bend forward and use my hands for balance.

This is a dicey walk across a flowing stream. The board on the right is flat. The board on the left is rounded. Both move down an inch or more as I shift my weight. I made it across safely.

Here I am at Pine Ridge Overlook.

Much of my walk was through private property but this spot belongs to the Minnesota Land Trust.

I think the land was donated in memory of Sarah Ellen Jaeger. I give credit to whomever hauled that big rock up here for her.

Whew! I am back at the Encampment River. Time to turn back to the car and start eating lunch.

Here is another look at the Crow Creek gorge but this time I am pointed downstream. Those cliffs are very dramatic. Today I added 2.7 miles making a total of 80.8 miles completed on the Superior Hiking Trail. I have 251.7 miles left to go.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...