Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Beaver Bay To Silver Bay

After parking my car at the Lax Lake Road Trail head I followed the Superior Hiking Trail down a ATV path for a half mile.I crossed the Beaver River on a bridge and then hiked downhill next to the river where I found three camp sites.

The river started out wide and slow but narrowed into a gorge with rapids.

Beaver River is very scenic. This would be a lovely place to camp.

The trail turns away from the river and across a couple of roads.

I ate raspberries and blueberries all along this part of the trail. The taste of fresh foraged berries was much tastier than the dried apricots I had in my pocket. These are the high bush blueberries. Closer to the end of my walk, on blueberry hill, there were numerous low bush blueberries. Both varieties taste really good. They taste like little blue balls of joy.

Here I can see Silver Bay in the distance.

This was a difficult part of the trail. See the large flat rock in front of me? Between that and the triangular rock ahead is a five foot drop to a creek. The space between the two rocks is too far for me to stand on both rocks at the same time. I stand here dithering about a decision for a couple minutes.

Here is another view of the gap. A younger me would have skipped across that gap like a mountain goat. The present version of me foresees broken bones, an ambulance ride, orthopedic surgery and possible recovery in a rehab facility.

Like an old lady I sit on the round rock, step on a rock down below and crawl onto the triangular rock. Better safe than sorry.

I am back to the Beaver River again.

A cascading gorge of a river.

Here I am crossing the Beaver River on the bridge. I have only a half mile left back to my car. Today I added 4.4 miles making my new total on the Superior Hiking Trail 103.9 (Yeah! I broke 100!). I have 228.6 left to go.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...