Tuesday, July 21, 2020

The Immortalists

When I was a high school student I had a good friend. Her mother did psychic readings for her. I went to one of the reading. Her mother shuffled the deck of Tarot cards and laid some out on the table. As she put each one down on the table she told us what they meant. Once she had nine laid out she gave us the meaning of what the combination meant. I sat there thinking this was the biggest load of hogwash I had ever seen. The mother was so confident and lively. Normally her demeanor was not very interested in us but as she gave the reading she was engaged and performing. Her eyes twinkled and she smiled at us. She was uncommonly charming. She told my friend that the cards said she would loose her fertility at a young age so she should have her children right away after high school. I was appalled. She offered to read my cards too but I declined. As we left I shook my head in disbelief. The thing was my friend believed what her mother told her in the reading. She believed in the truth of Tarot cards. She ended up having her first child at 19 and her second at 22 years of age because of that reading. In The Immortalists four teen aged siblings visit a fortune teller. The fortune teller sees each person individually. She tells them on what day and year they will die. Chloe Benjamin explores the difference between destiny and belief. Do the siblings die on the date they were foretold? If so, was it by chance or did their behaviors lead to their deaths? Call me a skeptic but I do not believe in psychic readings or Tarot cards. I would not want to know the date of my death anyway. I enjoyed reading this book though. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...