Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Walking in June

via GIPHY

Back in May I started keeping track of how many miles per day I walked. Since I couldn't go to the gym, walking was my new form of exercise. In May I walked a total of 137.3 miles for an average of 4.43 miles a day. Today is July 1st and my miles walked in June are 147.3 with an average 4.91 miles per day. Now my gym has reopened but I am still walking outside. I am hesitant to use the gym yet. I'd like to see the results of others using the gym first before I go back. If Covid 19 germs are spread using the gym I would just as soon not go to the gym until there is a vaccine available. Walking is a good form of exercise and it gives me time to think. Some people listen to music or podcasts while walking. I don't like to do that. I think it is safer to hear what is around me. My walking is a mix of city sidewalks, city trails, and rural trails. Rural trails are more challenging because trees fall on the trail and I have to climb over them or the trail crosses a stream and I have to balance my footing on rocks to keep my feet dry. Rural trails have more bugs. Here in Duluth there are literally no mosquitoes. Since it is so hilly no water is stagnant enough for mosquito larvae to hatch. Out of the city the mosquitoes and wood ticks plus deer flies and horse flies are a problem. Every year I forget how much a deer fly bite hurts until I feel it happen again. I am lucky enough to live in a place where I can easily mix my walking on sidewalks or trails. Tomorrow I think I will return to the Superior Hiking trail and get more of that accomplished.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...