Saturday, July 25, 2020

Where The Dead Sit Talking

I chose Where The Dead Sit Talking by Brandon Hobson because it won quite a few awards. This story is set in rural Oklahoma during the 1980's. The narrator is 15 year old Sequoyah. His mother was sent to prison for drug related offences and he was sent to a small town to live in foster care. His foster parents, Agnes and Harold, are good people and he lives there with another Native American teen named Rosemary and a thirteen year old boy named  George. I think George might be on the autism spectrum. Sequoyah is a follower. He would do anything Rosemary asks him to do. This is a dark tale about some emotionally damaged children. The depiction of what living in foster care is like feels real. I have known a couple of women who grew up in the foster care system and this book reminded me of them. I can see why this book won the awards because the writing was lyrical and profound.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...