Thursday, July 2, 2020

Hike To Stewart River Campsite


Today I hiked southbound from the Reeves Road Trail Head to the Stewart River campsite. But first I had to pass the Reeves Falls Campsite.




I found some more moose scat. Although this was not as exciting as the first time I saw moose scat it was still exciting. What was a moose doing up here on a rocky outcrop?

Here I come to a tunnel under the railroad tracks. I wasn't sure if these tracks were still being used but on my walk back I heard a train go by so I guess they are still being used.

Two white admiral butterflies posed for a picture by the bridge


.

Those small rounded pebbles by my feet are taconite pellets that fell off of the train.



This is the bridge over the Stewart River. This hike is taking a long time. I decide that I am heading back to my car at 1 p.m. whether I make it to the Stewart River Campsite or not.

I made it to the Stewart River Campsite. I use the latrine and check my phone for the time which is 12:47. Wow, I made it with 3 minutes to spare. I turn around and head back. As I walk back I eat my peanut butter sandwich and mandarin oranges. When I left the temperature was 71 degrees. When I returned to my car it is 91 degrees. No wonder I am so wrung out. I stop in Two Harbors to buy a Diet A&W rootbeer for the drive home. My new total on the trail adding the 5.9 miles today is 69.3. I have 263.7 miles left to go.










No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...