Saturday, July 4, 2020

Hike to Silver Creek

Today I hiked from the trail head on Reeves Road to Silver Creek. I could have done the entire 5.4 mile stretch to  Lake County Road 301 but it was hot and muggy today so I only went half way to Silver Creek. The first half mile of the walk was on Highway 2 which is a busy road and not fun to walk on. The second half mile was on a snowmobile trail. Then I went into the woods. At 1.3 miles in I came to the rock stairs. See my foot in the lower right corner? The stairs climb steeply down and to the left.

Here I am at the first landing. This is what I slowly and carefully walked down.

And this is the next set of stairs. The steps bend a little to the right.

Here is the photo from the bottom of the stairs. I am so glad that is over.

And this is Silver Creek where I will turn around.

On my way back toward those rock stairs I came upon a murder scene. I suspect a yellow shafted flicker was dinner for somebody bigger. After this 2.6 mile walk my new total on the trail is 71.5. I have 261.1 left to go. I am glad I chose a shorter distance for today. The point is to have fun hiking and going too far in hot and humid weather would not have been fun.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...