Monday, August 3, 2020

Canoe Trip


Yesterday was a nice day for the annual canoe trip. I had a nice drive from my home in Duluth to the Saint Croix River valley. I drove through Superior which is a cute little city despite it's arrogant name. I followed Highway 35 south all the way traveling through Moose Junction, Cozy Corner, Danbury, Webster, Siren, Luck and Frederic. We put in at Taylor's Falls and got out at William O'Brien state park. Here is one photo I took of the trip. We had good weather. The wind was helping us downstream the entire way. The sky was overcast and the temperature was cool which made the river water feel very warm and comfortable. The first section between Taylors Falls and Osceola was crowded with canoes and kayaks and the paddle boat which kept switching from one side of the river to the other.. From Osceola on down we had the river mostly to ourselves. We saw many campers at the river camp sites. I don't think I ever saw so many tents up before. Cardinal flowers and Joe Pye weed were blooming on the shore. We stopped on a sand bar because the younger ones wanted to swim and explore. They swam for a half hour or so and then we headed to our destination. The trip took about six hours and I think we all had a good time.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...