Monday, August 31, 2020

Pieces of Her

 I read Pieces of Her by Karin Slaughter. The story is about a protective mother and her 31 year old daughter having lunch on her daughter's birthday. The daughter, Andy, lives in an apartment above her mother's garage in Belle Isle, Georgia. Andy has the habit of freezing up when asked a question. This habit of hers is repeated time and time again until I got tired of hearing about it. At the birthday lunch an armed teenager comes into the restaurant to slay his girlfriend and his mother. Andy's mother stops the shooter from killing more people leaving Andy to wonder who her mother really was. Andy thought her mother was a quiet, peaceful, eclectic speech pathologist; not someone who could stop an armed shooter. Over the coming months Andy learns a whole other side of her mother but only from other people; not from her mother herself. This book was action packed and complicated. Some of the violence and profanity seemed gratuitous to me. I suppose that is why this novel has been chosen to be made into a Netflix series. I don't have Netflix. The only thing that would tempt me to watch it is that Toni Collette will play Andy's mother and I really like her acting.




No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...