Thursday, August 13, 2020

Ely's Peak

Today I hiked from the Beck's Road Trail head halfway to the Magney-Snively trail head. I could have gone the entire way but I had to get home and showered for a 5 pm phone call. The first half mile from the parking area was super easy on the paved Munger bike trail. After that the next half mile was straight up to Ely's Peak. I thought it was hard but while up there I discovered a group of 7 pre-schoolers with two adults. I was dressed in two pairs of socks, water-proof hiking boots, hiking pants, long sleeve quick dry sun shirt and hat. This tiny 4 year old girl in shorts and a sleeveless top and tennis shoes asks me, "Why are you hiking?"  I said I wasn't sure. 

After a series of rocky outcrops with scenic views I descended into a basswood, aspen, maple, oak forest. Here I cross the U.S. Steel creek.

Here I came to Skyline Parkway where I turned around and headed back to my car.

I think this is a toad.

It's chubby and lumpy like a toad.


 
I am descending from Ely's Peak back to the Munger trail. This is so steep they built a ladder in one spot. This ladder was easy to go up but looks intimidating on the way down. Today I added two miles making my new total on the Superior Hiking Trail 121.8. I have 210.7 left to go.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...