Monday, August 24, 2020

Park Point Trail

Today I drove to Park Point in Duluth and parked near the airport. There is a 2.4 mile trail that runs past the airport to the tip of this sandbar. According to the signs I read this is the largest fresh water sandbar in the world. The forest out here is unique also. Composed of red and white pines the trees vary in age from young trees to the oldest dated at 1798. In some spots the path was very sandy which made difficult walking. With each step my sandals would bring up a third of a cup of sand and spread it forward.

The trail goes through a scientific and natural area.

When I got to the end the Army Corp. of Engineers was unloading sand. I think they dredged the shipping canal and are dumping the sand out here. I thought it would be good to walk back to my car along the beach. The water was warm enough and the sand felt great on my bare feet. Walking in the sand as the waves gently rolled in was almost like walking an ocean beach. I definitely have to come back to this spot again. As I walked a common merganser popped up in the water just a few feet from me. Silently five other mergansers popped up one at a time after the first one. Maybe they were hunting for fish together.
 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...