Saturday, August 1, 2020

When Stars Are Scattered



I got the audio version of When Stars Are Scattered by Victoria Jamieson and Omar Mohamed. I didn't know it was a graphic novel or that it was designed for older children to read. I was drawn into the story immediately because the audio version has many Somali actors and actresses plus sound effects. The sound effects were so real I thought I had a problem with my left rear wheel on my car for a few miles before I figured out it was the crickets from the audio book instead of a wheel problem. Omar and his younger brother, Hassan, are orphans after fleeing Somalia where their father was killed. Their entire village was attacked so they had to run. Omar's  mother told him to take care of Hassan and she would find them. Omar and Hassan end up in a refugee camp in Kenya. Hassan has a developmental disability. He is non-verbal except for one word - the Somali word for mother. Hassan has seizures. He is also emotionally sensitive and will run away when upset. Omar promised his mother he would take care of Hassan which means he becomes over-protective. Omar does things for Hassan instead of realizing Hassan can be more independent if given the chance. This is an unforgettable true tale about brotherly love and the power of perseverance. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...