Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Grand Portage

Today I hiked from the Grand Portage trail head (inside Jay Cooke State Park) northbound to the Fond Du Lac trail. From the parking lot there is a short hike before you cross Highway 210 and head on up the hill to the ridge. Bike trails cross this area. As you can see by this picture sometimes the bike trails go up an an angle to the side which makes mountain biking look like fun.

I came upon the historic stone bridge over Mission Creek. The bridge is so wide two cars could pass without touching.

Here is the other side of the bridge.

This little tributary to Mission Creek has no bridge but I got across easily on the stones.

I think this orange toadstool is adorable sitting in the sunlight.

Here I am back to where I was the other day. Time to pull the peanut butter sandwich out of my pocket and start hiking back to my car. I saw at least 30 tiny toads hopping across the trail today. They were about a half inch in length. Some were gray and others were cinnamon brown.

I came upon what I think is porcupine grass. I wasn't expecting to see it. Today I added 3.6 more miles making my new total on the Superior Hiking Trail 130.4. I have 201.7 left to go.
 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...