Thursday, August 27, 2020

Little Marais

Today I hiked south bound from the trail head on Little Marais Road back to Kennedy creek where I left off a couple days ago. From the parking lot I walked .1 mile along the road before the trail headed south and immediately climbed a steep ridge. As I was hiking the ridge I startled a garter snake so badly it recklessly started racing downhill. I am glad I saw it and stopped walking because it almost touched my tennis shoe as it went across the path and carelessly wound down hill. I am proud of myself for not screaming but I did let out a little moan. I came upon this crack in the rock made for tall and skinny people.

From here I have a nice view of Little Marais road and I can barely make out my yellow car in the parking lot.

I came upon this giant boulder that is larger than a tank.

I didn't take this spur to picnic rock but now I wish I had because it loops back to the Superior Hiking Trail.

This is Sawmill Dome.

These mushrooms look like they have been professionally arranged.

Whew! I finally made it to the power lines. Now I am back on Wolf Ridge property. Kennedy Creek is just ahead. Today I added 4.4 miles making my new total on the Superior Hiking Trail 143.8. I have 188.3 left to go.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...