Friday, August 7, 2020

It's Not All Downhill From Here.

 Years ago I read Waiting To Exhale by Terry McMillan. This time I read her new book It's Not All Downhill From Here. This story is about five long-time friends who live in Pasadena, California. The narrator is Loretha.  Loretha and her friends are in their late 60's. The friends share their problems at their monthly suppers together. These women are more than friends; they are family. I enjoyed reading about them very much with one exception. Loretha gets diagnosed with type two diabetes and she handles it terribly. She lies to her doctor. She drinks orange juice and eats sweet potato pie. She doesn't take her medication.  She sits on her couch feeling tired and thirsty and does not take care of herself. She also doesn't open her mail for weeks at a time. I guess that makes two exceptions. Who doesn't handle their mail immediately? Eventually she comes around in the health department and I suppose it is good for me to know about people who don't take their health seriously because they are grieving or stressed out or just don't want to think about it. I enjoyed reading about five female strong women who are (a little bit) older than me.



No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...