Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Jay Cook

 

Today I hiked from the Grand Portage Trail Head to the Jay Cook visitor center. At first the Superior hiking trail stayed close to the Saint Louis River on the south side of Highway 210.
I saw 3 garter snakes along the river.

The Saint Louis river has a fish advisory because the fish are high in mercury.

The trail crosses Highway 210 after about a mile and goes steeply uphill and downhill again to Gill Creek.

Another steep uphill slope after Gill Creek where the trail joins the state park trails which are wider and less steep. Here I found the Hemlock Ravine Scientific Natural Area. I wasn't aware we had hemlock in Minnesota.

The maple/oak forest is pleasant and cool to walk through.

Here I came to Foresby Lake which is a reservoir with a dam connected to a hydroelectric plant run by Minnesota Power. 

This is a day use hut. I think this would be a splendid place to relax. Today I added 6.6 miles making my new total on the Superior Hiking Trail 137 miles. I have 195.1 left to go.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...