Wednesday, August 26, 2020

The Heavens May Fall

 Years ago I read a book by a Minnesota author called The Life We Bury. The author was Allen Eskins and he included some of the same characters in The Heavens May Fall. So I thought I would read it because it had some of the same characters. Max Rupert is a homicide detective for the Minneapolis Police Department. In this book he investigates the murder of a wealthy woman who runs a foundation to save wetlands. Half of the story is told by Max and the other half is told by Broady Sanden. Broady is a professor of law who gave up his legal practice for his own mental health. Broady and Max were friends. Broady comes out of retirement to be a lawyer for the murder victim's husband who is accused of killing his wife. The story moved quickly. The chapters were extremely short. The ending of the chapters dangled a morsel of information that kept me reading on. At the very end we learn who actually committed the murder and that is when I realized there is a reason I don't like murder mysteries. The reason is I feel manipulated by the author. If you do like murder mysteries, you would probably love this one.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...