Wednesday, August 12, 2015

A Wrinkle In Time

My book club read Madeline L'Engel's A Wrinkle in Time.  The story is about an awkward 13 year old girl who is smart but not in ways that are recognized in school.  She travels in time.  This book is usually marketed to kids but adults like it too.  It was published in 1962.  I wish I could time travel back to 1962 and give this book to myself because it may have changed my life.  Back in 1962 I didn't read any books that had a strong, smart female child who saves her family and the entire earth from death and destruction simply by being herself.  I heard, during our book club discussion, that one of the female astronauts brought a copy of this book into space because she found it inspirational.  When Madeline L'Engel heard about that she asked why she couldn't come along into space along with the book.  I thought this was a great children's story.  I wish I had read it earlier. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...