Sunday, August 23, 2015

Canoeing

A liitle wind, a little rain, do we let that stop us from our annual trek down the scenic Saint Croix River?  Actually it was a lot of wind coming from the south.  Even though the Saint Croix River flows south the top of it was flowing north with us on it.  My kayak was breaking through some mighty tall waves.  Waves were crashing down on the bow of my boat and the spray was wetting my face and giant sun hat.  My giant sun hat was being blown backwards and the chin strap pulled on my neck. Despite the strong winds there must have been a bounty of insects above the water because I have never seen so many tree swallows flying over the water grabbing a snack.  We saw some bald eagles soaring as well.  Sometimes, during the trek between Taylors Falls and Osceola I would debate traveling the six hour trip to William O'Brien.  Then the wind would gust at me.  I could see and hear the wind coming toward me before I felt it push. I would have to paddle hard just not to go backwards and I would rule the six hour trip right out.  Still, I'm glad we went.  Our next trip will seem even more pleasant after this one.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...