Sunday, August 30, 2015

Fire!

Ironically, a day after preaching about fire safety as Smokey the Bear, I set a fire in my yard.  I started out with 3 months worth of dryer lint and a home made fire starter. I spent 5 hours burning brush.  I finished burning all the wood trimmed off the white oak and the black walnut tree.  Plus I burned quite a bit of a cherrywood tree that fell ever so close to the canoe.  I had a big fire going that sent flames 4 feet into the air.  I wanted to clean up the big pile of brush in my driveway and I got that done plus more.  I enjoyed the wonderful summer evening tending the fire, listening to the birds.  If some of the pieces of wood are 15 feet long I set the center in the fire and as it burns I break it off and throw both ends in.  As darkness fell the insects got louder and more aggressive.  Burning brush is one of the most enjoyable chores for a home owner to complete.

No comments:

Time Of The Lotus Bloom

Now is the season for the blooming of American lotus. The flowers near shore stand higher above the water line than the flowers in deeper wa...