Monday, August 3, 2015

Never Enjoyed A Bloody Mary More Than This One

Three of us went to Betty Danger's Country Club for a well deserved lunch after a morning of moving heavy couches here and there.  One friend asked for a bloody mary but didn't have her identification with her (because she was helping us move things).  So I offered to get one for her. I had my id with me.  The waitress accepted my order but gave us a lecture that I couldn't give the bloody mary to the woman who wanted it because she (the waitress) could get into trouble..  She added that if she saw the woman drinking the bloody mary she would have to ask for it back.  Well, awkward!  Our orders arrived.  I slid the bloody mary in her direction.  I didn't want it.  Offspring #2 was driving so she didn't want it.  The other furniture mover was the one who wanted it but now she didn't want it because she didn't want to get the waitress in trouble.  She also didn't want to not drink it.  She was conflicted. After she drank her coffee she passed me her cup and when the waitress was away I poured bloody mary into her coffee cup.  We felt a little naughty.  The bloody mary drinker got the giggles.  She explained that whenever she does anything wrong she gets the giggles.  She can't help herself.  I told her she would make a terrible criminal.  Then I caught her giggles.  And Offspring #2 was overcome with giggles.  Finally I asked what we were giggling about.  All three of us were old enough to drink.  And we fully intended to pay for this bloody mary.  So what, exactly, were we doing wrong?  As we ate our delicious lunches (the cornbread was out of this world) and watched other diners revolving in the ferris wheel, we kept up the giggling.  I poured more of the bloody mary in her coffee cup.  When the waitress made the next round (and checked up on who was drinking what we thought) the bloody mary glass was nearly empty except for the celery stick.    When the waitress came back the bloody mary glass was half full because the other woman felt too guilty to drink anymore and I poured it from her coffee cup back into the bloody mary glass.  When the waitress came back with the check the bloody mary glass was entirely full because I poured the beer chaser into it.  What must she have thought?  Despite the tension about the bloody mary we did have a wonderful outdoor lunch with delicious food.  This was the best bloody mary I (n)ever had.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...