Monday, August 24, 2015

Judging Judging

I'm getting philosophical lately and thinking a lot about judging.  I have heard people say, "Don't judge me," or "I try not to judge."  I have even seen tattoos that say, "Don't judge me."  I have noticed that the people who don't want me to judge them dress or act in ways that draw my attention and cause me to judge them.  It is true.  I judge people.  Doesn't everybody?  I see a new person and I judge them.  I judge them to be male or female, old or young, and safe or unsafe.  My natural instinct is to judge others and I am not going to feel guilty for that.  If I didn't judge people I would be so trusting of strangers I would be incredibly vulnerable.  So to me this means it is acceptable to judge.  If I see another driver acting recklessly in the freeway I'm going to give them more space.  If a driver is driving sensibly I'll give them space but not as much as a crazy driver. Judging is part of my nature and vital to my survival. But if I hold firmly to a first impression and refuse to review new evidence that might shake that first impression, is that "bad" judging?  If I make assumptions based on my first impression, is that bad judging? Can there be good judging and bad judging?  I can't expect perfection.  All humans make mistakes.  If I don't want to be judged for my mistakes, I shouldn't judge others for their mistakes.  Believe me, I have made some doozies of mistakes. I don't have the answers.  I try to accept people as the complex beings that they are.  I try not to make assumptions.  I try to be open to new ideas.  What I do know is that I judge people and, after thinking it over, I'm fine with that. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...