Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Bowling

Bowling was fun.  We were dry and warm which was nice.  A dozen people came and that was wonderful.  I chose an orange ball.  After admiring my classy bowling shoes I walked up the lane to throw the ball.  Did I remember how to do it?  Hold the ball in front of you.  Start off with the right foot take three steps while swinging the ball back on your right hand and then forward and let go.  I did that.  I didn't hit any pins.  On my second try I hit one pin.  Improvement!  Back at my seat someone mentioned the diamond marks on the lane.  Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah.  I remember now.  Aim for the first diamond right of center.  My second frame was even better.  On the tenth frame something very strange happened.  I held the ball in front of me, I took three steps, swung the ball back and then forward and when I got there I was still at least 6 feet away from the start of the lane?  How did that happen?  I didn't let go of the ball.  I turned around to make another try.  And I got the giggles which were only encouraged by one of my sisters.  I tried it again.  Same thing happened.  On my third try for the first ball of the tenth frame I slowly, like Herman Munster, took one giant step forward, paused, took another giant step forward, paused, took the third giant step forward, swung the ball back and forward and let it go.  Gutter ball.  Whatever.  My score was way past my goal of 60.  I actually got 68 and was pretty proud of the fact that I am no better and nor worse of a bowler now than I was 20 years ago.  Now the lanes have the mph of each ball you throw.  I average about 8 mph.  I saw as high as 14.7 mph for other people.  We had fun together.  I noticed a bowling alley smell clinging to my clothes as I left.  The smell is a combination of wax and bare feet.  Good times.  Going bowling instead of canoeing gave me extra time.  I decided to use it wisely.  I realized there was no way I could eat a half a lug of peaches before they went bad so I used 9 of them to make peach jam.  I am done now and have to time to enjoy listening to the "pop" each lid makes as it seals.  Hearing a jam jar seal is one of my most favorite sounds on earth. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...