Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Rabbit

For 5 years I planned to make a mosaic picture.  I had the frame sitting next to my microwave all this time.  This year, just two days before the recipient's birthday, I decided now was the time to get to it.  I got this drawing and decided to work off of it.  My plan was to make the rabbit body solid and not include those circles you see in the drawing.

I looked at what glass I had available.  I had orange pieces of glass already cut into squares.  I would have to cut my own yellow.  I decided to make the yellow glass pieces larger because the yellow glass was so pretty and to set the sun apart from the other items in the picture.  Larger pieces would add variety too.  That round piece above the sun is a reflection of my kitchen light.

I added some skinny green pieces for the grass.  I didn't fill in all the grass but enough to make a hint of long grass.

I had a supply of two colors of blue glass.  I thought about making the darker blue at the top or the bottom to simulate a sunset but chose to mix it up instead.  I glued the pieces down by starting at the margin of the sun and making concentric circles.

When it was all done I let the pieces dry overnight and applied a charcoal colored grout the next day.  I think it turned out pretty well.  In fact I thought about keeping it for myself.  But no, I made this for someone that I love and I wanted her to have it.  I love mosaics.  I have loved them since elementary school.  Making this leaping rabbit was relaxing and calming and it gave me a chance to focus my mind in a way that is different for me compared to what I usually do.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Thumbs up to a very nice gift made by you! It's really very beautiful.

Sue said...

Oh, thanks Dianne! You are so sweet.

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...