Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Fox Returns

My guard was gradually dropping. I haven't seen the fox around since April.  At that time the fox was a youngster with a lot of black  in it's fur.  I even considered letting the girls walk around this weekend.  That was until 5:40 a.m. this morning.  I heard my chickens calling, "Fox!"  See I can understand chicken squawking now.  I've learned their language and they were definitely yelling, "Fox!  Help!  Fox!"  I went to the window and yelled.  Of course the fox looked at me and didn't leave.  The fox had it's front feet up on the chicken house and was looking in the window of the chicken coop.  I went out to the deck.  Then the fox moved to the back of the yard where it waited until I got back into bed and settled under the covers before returning so the chickens could yell, "Fox!  Help!  Fox!"  This time I came to the deck armed with a BB and my handy dandy slingshot.  The fox saw the weapon and took off running.  I know this was a red fox because it had a white tip to the tail.  The tail I saw as the fox ran away had quite of bit of black in it.  Could this be the same fox from April only older and more mature?  I thought the fox vs chicken battle was nearing an end.  I see more rabbits in my neighborhood and the fox had vanished for three summer months.  I know a family a half mile away who lets their chickens walk around their yard so I thought maybe the fox had moved over there where food was easier to obtain.  But no, I still need to worry about foxes eating my chickens.  It's best if my girls remain inside the run for the time being.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...