Friday, August 21, 2015

Danger

This morning I cut up an ananas melon.  This is a melon I got from my CSA.  You don't usually see these in a grocery store because once they are picked they have to be eaten within a few days.  The flesh is whitish and it tastes and smells a little bit like pineapple.  I cut up the melon and before work I gave the chickens the rinds to peck at.  After work I came back to check on my chickens and give them their daily third of a cucumber to snack on. I saw one of the melon rinds was flesh side up and covered with a swarm of tiny bees.  I could hardly see the rind there were so many bees.  Golly, my poor chickens were caged with a swarm of bees.  The bees could escape but the chickens could not.  I decided right now would be a good time to move my chickens to a fresh spot of prairie.  I lured them inside the coop with the fresh cucumber.  I took out their food dish and locked them in the coop.  I moved the run over to fresh land and then rocked the chicken coop over into place.  When I had everything secure I let my girls out into their fresh run.  They are very excited to explore the new territory and taste all the fresh grass and weeds.  I don't know but would assume they were glad to escape the presence of so many bees too.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...