Monday, August 10, 2015

Making Salsa

I picked up my CSA allotment tonight.  No beans this week!  I'm grateful for a week without beans.  I can handle kale every week and onions every week and even corn every week but not beans.  Tonight I got all the ingredients for making salsa.  I put a pot of water on the boil and dipped my tomatoes in the boiling water for a couple seconds so the skin would peel right off.  My Grandmother taught me to do that.  i thought about her tonight and I thought about how much I miss her.  I look down and realize I'm working in the kitchen in bare feet.  Just like Grandma did.  I look down again and realize I'm wearing a housecoat with snaps, vertical stripes and patch pockets on the front.  When did I turn into my Grandma? She wore house coats too.  It's scary sometimes.  I can't make salsa in my work clothes and a loose housecoat is cool and comfortable to wear in the summer.  No doubt my Grandma thought the same thing!  I am sure my Grandma peeled tomatoes and chopped onions, fresh herbs and green peppers but I don't remember her dicing jalapeno peppers or garlic.  Maybe she did. Making a batch or two of salsa is part of the summer season for me.  My house smells nice and spicy now. Here is the recipe for salsa that I got from my CSA:
Chunky Tomato Salsa
3 1/2 cups peeled chopped tomatoes (about 4 large)
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (I kept the seeds in 1 - I like it hot)
1 tsp sugar (I didn't use sugar but squirted a squirt of honey instead)
1 garlic clove minced (I used two)
3/4 teaspoon cumin (I used a full teaspoon)
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1/4 C white vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
2 TB lemon juice
Directions:  In a large saucepan combine all the ingredients.  Stir.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour stirring frequently.  Refrigerate.
PS  In my CSA I got a few stems of fresh cilantro.  This recipe didn't call for cilantro but I threw some in anyway.  For me a recipe is more of a guideline than anything.
 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...