Monday, August 10, 2015

Making Salsa

I picked up my CSA allotment tonight.  No beans this week!  I'm grateful for a week without beans.  I can handle kale every week and onions every week and even corn every week but not beans.  Tonight I got all the ingredients for making salsa.  I put a pot of water on the boil and dipped my tomatoes in the boiling water for a couple seconds so the skin would peel right off.  My Grandmother taught me to do that.  i thought about her tonight and I thought about how much I miss her.  I look down and realize I'm working in the kitchen in bare feet.  Just like Grandma did.  I look down again and realize I'm wearing a housecoat with snaps, vertical stripes and patch pockets on the front.  When did I turn into my Grandma? She wore house coats too.  It's scary sometimes.  I can't make salsa in my work clothes and a loose housecoat is cool and comfortable to wear in the summer.  No doubt my Grandma thought the same thing!  I am sure my Grandma peeled tomatoes and chopped onions, fresh herbs and green peppers but I don't remember her dicing jalapeno peppers or garlic.  Maybe she did. Making a batch or two of salsa is part of the summer season for me.  My house smells nice and spicy now. Here is the recipe for salsa that I got from my CSA:
Chunky Tomato Salsa
3 1/2 cups peeled chopped tomatoes (about 4 large)
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (I kept the seeds in 1 - I like it hot)
1 tsp sugar (I didn't use sugar but squirted a squirt of honey instead)
1 garlic clove minced (I used two)
3/4 teaspoon cumin (I used a full teaspoon)
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1/4 C white vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
2 TB lemon juice
Directions:  In a large saucepan combine all the ingredients.  Stir.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour stirring frequently.  Refrigerate.
PS  In my CSA I got a few stems of fresh cilantro.  This recipe didn't call for cilantro but I threw some in anyway.  For me a recipe is more of a guideline than anything.
 

No comments:

Time Of The Lotus Bloom

Now is the season for the blooming of American lotus. The flowers near shore stand higher above the water line than the flowers in deeper wa...