Thursday, August 6, 2015

Making The Most of Summer

This morning I got ready for in time to enjoy a cup of coffee on the deck.  I sat in my chair and sipped the warm coffee.  I could feel the caffeine start. a warm feeling in my gut and radiate outward to my limbs waking me up from the inside out. This coffee is powerful stuff.  I listened to the fledgling chickadees.  These young birds don't really have the "chick-a-dee" song down.  To me they sound like zebra finches.  Years ago I had many zebra finches as pets and will always remember the sound they made - like an old fashioned cash register.  Mrs. Cardinal comes to the bird feeder.  Her red beak looks very pretty. When she leaves Mr. Cardinal comes and hops in the grass under the bird feeder.  He is so lovely in his vibrant red feathers with the brick red patch on his back.  He is so striking and colorful it seems like he belongs in Costa Rica or Brazil instead of Minnesota.  I think I'm lucky to see this bird 12 months out of the year.  A pair of goldfinches land on some tall seedy weeds in my garden.  I should have pulled those weeds out before they got 3 feet tall but now, at this moment, I'm glad those weeds are there because it's fun to see them bend with the weight of the goldfinches trying to eat the seeds off of them.  A chickadee comes and takes a drink of water from the bird bath right in front of me.  One of the goldfinches lands on the peanut feeder and finds it empty.  Goldfinches don't eat nuts, do they?  Seems like their little beak is made for tinier things than peanuts.  Two bluebirds fly through the yard.  Although I wasn't excited about doing it I'm glad I mowed the grass last night because I think it will rain today.The red shouldered hawk is talking up a storm in a distant yard.  My yard is full of birds and life.  I have so much to see and observe right from my very own deck. I have to go to work but I truly enjoyed those five minutes on the deck drinking my coffee.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...