Sunday, August 2, 2015

Thirty?!

Yesterday I went to a birthday party for someone who is 30.  Wow, 30, I remember when she was born because I was the labor coach.  I was there in the room when she took her first breath.  I was pretty close to her age now.  In any case it was an honor to be invited to a 30 year old's birthday party.  The party was in Monticello in a house right on the main drag so I had no problem finding it.  This road is one of my favorite routes when I go to take a relaxing joy ride on my motorcycle.  So on my motorcycle I went to Monticello.  I went up one side of the Mississippi and down the other while crossing the Elk River and the Crow River too.  A piece of irrigation equipment was malfunctioning near the Ewing potato farms and I wasn't looking forward to getting spattered with water.  I slowed down and managed to miss a direct hit of water.  The water on the road sprayed up and soaked my lower legs though and at first I didn't like that but within 2 minutes my pants were dry again.  On another piece of road my lane was littered with something - pieces of hay or seeds.  I don't know exactly what it was but there was lots of it for about a half mile.  I didn't know if this litter was slippery or not so I slowed down.  I didn't feel any slipperiness.  I enjoyed watching the stuff scatter in my rear-view mirrors.   At this party was a group of men and women who can talk to each other no matter what the age difference is.  We sat in the shade on lawn chairs while laughing and talking and listening to the gun shots from the rifle range just a few blocks away.  Born on a blue moon and celebrating her 30th on a blue moon, she was a happy birthday girl.. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...