Saturday, February 4, 2023

Let's Go Fly A Kite Up In The Atmosphere

I left the house early (for me) and got to the farmer's market in Dickenson by 9 a.m. I park and see several police officers. I am wearing shorts, my big hat, sunglasses and sandals. I taste some delicious peach and ginger sauce with some celery. I decide I can't eat such a big bottle of it within 2 weeks. Next a lady asks if I want a free chair massage. I do want a free chair massage. I explain to the chiropractor where I have the battery in my back. Golly gee, he had me so relaxed I was drooling. I buy some romaine lettuce, cabbage, a jalapeno pepper and a bag of cherry tomatoes from a farmer. I brought my cooler with me and inside I froze a big water bottle of ice. Next I see a lady selling candles in antique cups and saucers. They are so cute! I see one shaped like a Scottie dog. She said these Scottie dogs came free with boxes of Grape Nuts. Okay, now I have to have a Scottie dog. A man is playing really good guitar music and singing songs. I buy a box of Mexican wedding cakes from a lady. I tell myself that is enough now get out of here. I see the police man and woman have a baby on their table. I ask if this is a new recruit. They say she is. Look she is holding a badge. I play peek-a-boo with the baby to make her smile. I tell them that today is my little brother's birthday and could I please take a selfie with them? The male officer uses my phone and we take a selfie. Next I head to Galveston for a family-friendly Mardi Gras event. I park and walk up the ramp where I see people dressed in purple, green, and yellow. Rats, I forgot. I am wearing blue and tan. I also forgot my purse which holds my socks and water. Two ladies greet me and ask me to sign in. I sign in. She asks what color beads I prefer. I choose gold. She says she likes my earrings. I say they were three dollars. Here I go humble bragging again. Have I always been this way? I text my girlfriend and asked if I humble bragged before I was married. She asks how much wine I have had today! Geez Louise! I look over the silent auction items. They have some nice stuff here. I meet a lady named Gay and she explains what I should expect. I ask if they need any help. I could volunteer? She says they have enough help but thanks. I meet the Fabulous Rose. I say nice to meet you Rose. She says no. I am the Fabulous Rose. I apologize. Fabulous Rose was born in Louisiana and is part of the Crewe here in Galveston now. She explains the whole situation. She is one funny Fabulous Rose. More children and families arrive. A 4 piece blue grass band is playing in the grass. They're really good players so I can't help but dance as I walk along. I meet another couple. She tells me I can't believe a word he says. He nods and says it's true, I instigate trouble. I say Okay and keep on going. At 11 the action starts. Kids can get on the two trailer hay wagon. Parents get on the hay wagon. I get on the hay wagon pulled by a big pick up truck. A guy is filming all this. Will I be on TV tonight? Planes are flying overhead. The grass is full of golf balls. I ask the 8 year old girl next to me if this is a golf course. She says she doesn't know. We stop at the first station. She comes back with an onion. Music plays when we stop and we all shout and cheer. At the next station she brings back an onion. Do you like onions I ask. She says yes. At the third station a little boy comes back with a green pepper. At the fourth station another kid comes with a piece of celery. At the fifth station a kid comes back with a bag of rice. At the sixth station another kid comes back with a bag of white flour. All these ingredients are to make gumbo like the poor people in New Orleans used to do. The final station is at a farm. I walk to the final station. A man says look out or you will step in those fire ants! Yikes. Okay I walk up to the farm house. I see two chickens in a dog kennel. I hang out by the chickens. I get to pet two chickens. The chicken owners reassure their chickens that everything will be okay. They tell me that last year the chickens didn't want to run. He kept finding eggs in the dog crate. I guess it is hard to run when you are in labor. The first group to enter the barnyard are the zero to five year olds. I get a picture as the chicken falls through the window into the grass. Guess who catches it? I am not kidding. The orange-haired 3 year old who catches it is named Tyson. Like Tyson chicken? Unbelievable. The five to ten year olds go next. The ten to fifteen year olds go next. The fifteen to twenty ones go next. And they all get two rounds. Sometimes they let both chicken go. Finally the twenty one and up males have their turn. And then the twenty one and up females have a chance. I go in. I do not catch a chicken. Now it is time for the free gumbo. I thought I would pay for some mac and cheese. I am in line with a lady with white hair. We talk. She is from Iowa. Her 65th anniversary is coming up on Valentine's Day. Her husband usually uses a wheelchair so she hopes they will let her have two bowls of gumbo. I offer to bring one to him. I bring the gumbo to him and he is very grateful. I go back in line and get a free bowl of rice and a free bowl of potato salad. I go back and sit with the couple chatting about his career as a manager of a hog processing plant and her job as a dental hygienist. We have a nice chat until the music starts up behind them and we can't hear each other anymore. I offer to take their plates to the trash. I go into the bar and ask where the recycling is. I am holding her empty bottle of Texas Blue Ribbon beer. They don't have recycling. They don't have recycling? A bar doesn't have recycling? I sigh and take the beer bottle to my car where I grab my bag of tomatoes. I share my tomatoes with the couple until they decide to leave. Yeah, he can hardly walk the poor man. I sign up for the silent auction. I bid on a bucket of car cleaning equipment. I bid on a bottle of peach vodka with two wooden bottle stoppers. I hope I don't win. I don't win. Now I am disappointed. I flirt with the guys in the band. I see Gay is rolling up the orange fence that the chickens were in. I go to help her. We wiggle the wooden posts out of the grass and commence to roll fence. This is kind of fun. A guy comes over to help. He has a knife to cut a plastic tie. Another guy comes to help and soon we have everything rolled up. I see the hay wagon coming back picking up pieces of wood. I pick up a piece of wood for them. The lady in the wagon thanks me and says she remembers me from last year. I tell her I wasn't here last year. She says I should come next year. I tell her maybe I will. I walk back to the silent action. I see kites flying in the sky. Kites! I could fly my penguin kite! I ask a couple how to get over there. They tell me and off I go to the kites. I park on the beach side of the road. Dang, the kites are on the other side. This road is busy and people are driving fast. I make it to the turn lane and wait again before I cross. Rats! People are not flying kites. The kite store is flying kites tied to posts in the ground. I cross back to my car, put the kite away, and don my binoculars. I see sanderlings, and gulls, and terns and other shore birds. This place is beautiful. There is a restaurant above me. People are eating outside! The bare sand feels so good on my feet. I carry my sandals. People are collecting sea shells. People are having picnics. I walk up the beach as far as I can go and then back down again. I see a family of 3 flying a kite. I ask if they would be willing to help me fly a kite. He says yes. Two of them help me and goshdarnitall, my kite is up in the sky! Wow! (more pictures tomorrow)


 

No comments:

Fair Hills

The MN Master Naturalist convention is partnering with the Detroit Lakes bird festival this year so we all met at the Fair Hills Resort on P...